Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chapter 6.5 - Last day of School

  Over the next few weeks I took my time reading through everyone's reports. It felt like I was reading through novels but it was well worth it.


 All of the reports had a lot of information about Venice in general but one students report stood out from all the others.


 Although Toya had a lot of information about Venice as well she was also able to find information about a royal family that lived there. There was a King and Queen that ruled over all of Italy but they resided in Venice, and they had my last name as well. I was very intrigued by this and kept on reading. Toya also found out that the King and Queen had a baby but after doing more research she found out that there was no pictures or word of the baby after age 2, how odd.

  I was very interested in all of this and decided to start my research with this family. Everyone received an A on their reports (some minor misspelling and punctuations errors) but Toya received an A+.

  The next day in class, which was the last day of school, I excitedly waited for my students. After I handed back everyone's reports I pulled Toya to the side.

"You did fantastic on your report Toya."

"Thank you Miss Abruzzi, I hope I didn't go overboard with it."


"No, not at all! I do have a favor to ask of you though. Could you possibly bring me a picture of this family you mentioned and maybe a picture of where they live before you leave for college next week?"

"Yes, that is not a problem at all. I believe I still have them save on my computer."

"Thank you very much," I said to her before getting everyone elses attention, "No work today guys. Feel free to talk, read, or whatever. There is also pizza here for you all to." I said as I placed the pizza on one of the open desks.


  As I walked back to my desk to begin getting things together to take home I heard the classroom door open, it was Luca.

"Hello students, Miss Abruzzi," He said as he walked to the front of the classroom, "I just wanted to congratulate all of you on your spectacular improvement. After going through grades I am happy to announce that you have ALL passed with A's."

  Immediately my students began cheering and congratulating each other.


"Good work Miss ABruzzi," Luca said looking at me.

"Thank you Mr Gerini. It was a lot of hard work but it all paid off in the end. I am very proud of all of my students," I said as I looked at them.

"After you are done getting your stuff together, could you stop by my office when you go to pick up your check?"


"Sure, it shouldn't take me long to get everything together."

  After class let out I cleaned the classroom, packed all of my things and put them in my car. Then I went to the office, picked up my check, and met Luca in his office.



"Haley, please sit," He said with a big smile on his face "I want to congratulate and thank you again for the work you did with those kids."



"Thank you again Luca, I am happy their progress was so dramatic. Their reports played a big part in their grade and they all did an amazing job on them."


"For all your hard work I am pleased to give you this $500 bonus check,: Luca said smiling as he saw the surprised look on my face, "Also, I was wondering if you would like to come over tomorrow night for an informal dinner around 5 p.m. Give us a chance to talk about what your students put in their reports?"


"That sounds like a great idea," I said, my mind suddenly going crazy with excitement, and took the paper Luca handed me with his address on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment