Sunday, February 14, 2021

Chapter 12.3 - Back Home For The Summer

   It was finally summer break and I was ready to get back home. It has been very rough since dad died. I threw myself into my school work to keep my mind busy and cut out all other social activities. I finished my school year with top grades and was on track to graduate university early. I was also anxious to get away from my crazy roommate for awhile. As I packed my stuff I decided to also pack anything that was valuable. Even though she was already gone, it's hard to say what she would do. When I arrived home I saw mom in the garden, for some reason she had become obsessed with being in this area of the yard.


 She glanced at me with a look of shock on her face and jumped up.

"Mira, you're home early!" She said happily, as she gave me a hug. "Let's go inside."

 She quickly ushered me inside, which was more unusual behavior for her. She helped me put my suitcases in my room and then we went to the Salty Paws Saloon for dinner. We stuffed ourselves with delicious food, drank yummy wine, and talked a lot. It was so nice to be with my mom again, it felt like I hadn't talked to her in years.




 The next day we worked together to finish Mikas room. He would be coming home in about a month from his year abroad. We were even more excited when we saw packages arrive while we were making a quick lunch. He sent home a bunch of souvenirs from the countries he had visited. We placed some of it in his room and then the rest went in different areas of the house.


 After we were done putting Mikas stuff away, we cooked together and then sat down for dinner. Mom was very quiet at first until I asked her what was wrong, she was beginning to worry me.


"I'm worried about Silvana, that's all. I have not heard from her since your dads funeral. What if she's in trouble?"


"I'm sure she is fine mom. Silvana is very tough and she can take care of herself."

"Yes but still..." She said before putting her dishes in the dishwasher and going to bed. It was not like her to go to bed so early.

 After I cleaned everything up, I went downstairs and turned music on. Once the bills were paid, I messed with my new science equipment for awhile before deciding to head to bed. I needed to get caught up on sleep but my mind would not relax. I was thinking about what was going on with my mom and then I would start thinking about Tristan again, which was beginning to happen a lot. He never called me and I never saw him around campus again before break started. I had to force myself to stop thinking about him. He obviously didn't want to have anything to do with me so it was time to move on.




 The next day mom and I spent a lot of time away from the house. We went to the beach, had a picnic, and even checked out the new boardwalk they had just built. When we were done we decided to take the long way home so that we could visit dad. It was still so hard, I couldn't believe he was actually gone. We stood there talking to dad, remembering the good memories with him, crying, and hugging.



No comments:

Post a Comment